WHAT IS SPORTS MASSAGE?
Sports Massage is a type of massage therapy which utilises deep tissue techniques, with the aim of reducing muscular tension, discomfort and pain.
Reasons to have a sports masage
Deep Tissue Sports massage techniques can be used to treat a wide variety of conditions, such as:
- Muscular and joint injuries such as sprains and strains,
- Postural related pain,
- Golfers and tennis elbow,
- Repetitive strain injuries,
- Back pain,
Typically, sports massage techniques are fast-paced and incorporate stretching and compression movements. A sports massage therapist will use a variety of deep tissue techniques throughout a treatment which involve longitudinal stripping, friction techniques, tapotement and muscle energy techniques such as PNF stretching, active movement and trigger point compression.
BENEFITS OF THERAPEUTIC SPORTS MASSAGE
The following benefits can be experienced through the application of sports and deep tissue massage techniques:
- Reduction in muscle tension, muscular pain and discomfort
- Increased range of motion, leading to enhanced performance.
- Decreased muscle stiffness and soreness after exercise or physical activity
- Reduced recovery time post injury
- Increased levels of relaxation and reduction in physical and psychological stress levels
- Aids sleep quantity and quality.